Each fall, the City of Charlestown recognizes active duty and veteran service men and women with the Charlestown Honors banner program. Recognition banners line Market Street through Charlestown beginning in the fall and remain displayed through mid-November.
For more information on the program, visit www.charlestownparks.com/charlestown-honors
An estimated 447 residents in Charlestown have veteran status. Among the resources for veterans in the community are as follows:
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1427
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1427 in Charlestown provides support for veterans of the US Armed Forces. Veteran Services connects veterans with several government agencies and nonprofit organizations at the federal, Indiana state, and Charlestown level. These services include veteran benefits assistance, services for veterans with disabilities, and information about medical care, insurance, and education benefits. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) also provides veteran services in Charlestown.
You may contact Veterans Services for questions about:
- Clark County VFW and AMVETS posts
The VFW Post 1427 is located at 350 Harrison St, Charlestown, IN 47111 and can be reached at 812-256-3958.
American Legion Post 335
The American Legion Post 335 in Charlestown serves to enhance the well-being of America's veterans, their families, our military, and our communities by our devotion to mutual helpfulness. The American Legion's vision statement is "The American Legion: Veterans Strengthening America.” The American Legion's value principles are as follows:
- A VETERAN IS A VETERAN - which means The American Legion embraces all current and former members of the military and endeavors to help them transition into their communities.
- SELFLESS SERVICE - which means The American Legion celebrates all who contribute to something larger than themselves and inspires others to serve and strengthen America.
- AMERICAN VALUES AND PATRIOTISM - which means The American Legion advocates for upholding and defending the United States Constitution, equal justice and opportunity for everyone and discrimination against no one, youth education, responsible citizenship and honoring military service by observing and participating in memorial events.
- FAMILY AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT - which means The American Legion meets the unique needs of local communities.
- ADVANCING THE VISION - which means The American Legion educates, mentors and leads new generations of Americans.
- HONOR THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE US - which means The American Legion pays perpetual respect for all past military sacrifices to ensure they are never forgotton by new generations.
The American Legion Post 335 is located at 1199 Basham Dr, Charlestown, IN 47111 and can be reached at (812) 256-3947.
VA Medical Center
The nearest Veterans Affairs Medical Center is located at 811 Northgate Boulevard, New Albany, IN 47150. Their hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To contact the Center, call 502-287-4100.