The City of Charlestown Sanitation Dept. handles weekly curbside collection of solid waste, yard waste/limbs and one bulky item per month. Residents have the option to add a second container, pick up additional bulky items or pick up dumpster bags for additional fees.
- Prohibited Items - Appliances, refrigerant units, tires, electronics (TVs, computers), and chemicals (used oils, solvents and paints, batteries).
- Solid Waste - Regular household trash & waste placed in an approved 96-gallon city-issued trash can
- Yard Waste - Limbs and grass (placed in biodegradable bags) are picked up weekly
- Tree Limbs - Limbs cut to lengths less than 3-feet, bundled or stacked neatly are picked up weekly
- Bulky Items - One bulky item pick up per month ($10 each additional item) Examples: furniture, mattresses, grills, exercise equipment, large toys
- Dumpster Bag - Waste up to 3,300-lbs can be placed in a dumpster bag (purchased at a local home good store) and picked up ($75 fee) Please call to schedule
Clark County Recycling District (112 Industrial Way, Charlestown) offers a variety of drop off recycling options.
Please note that on the following holidays, sanitation trucks will not run their regular routes - therefore all routes will run one day behind during a holiday week. For example, if a holiday falls on Monday then the routes will run as follows:
- Monday’s route will run on Tuesday
- Tuesday’s route will run on Wednesday
- Wednesday’s route will run on Thursday
- Thursday’s route will run on Friday
2023 City of Charlestown Observed Holidays
|HOLIDAY||DATE OFFICE IS CLOSED|
|New Year's Day 2022||Monday, Jan. 2, 2023|
|Martin Luther King Day||Monday, Jan. 16, 2023|
|Presidents' Day||Monday, Feb. 20, 2023|
|Good Friday||Friday, April 7, 2023|
|Primary Election Day||Tuesday, May 2, 2023|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 29, 2023|
|Juneteenth||Monday, June 19, 2023|
|Independence Day||Tuesday, July 4, 2023|
|Labor Day||Monday, Sept. 4, 2023|
|Indigenous Peoples' Day/Columbus Day||Monday, Oct. 9, 2023|
|Election Day||Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023|
|Veterans Day||Friday, Nov. 10, 2023|
|Thanksgiving||Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023|
Friday, Nov. 24, 2023
|Christmas||Friday, Dec. 22, 2023|
Monday, Dec. 25, 2023
|New Year's Day||Monday, Jan. 1, 2024|
Annual Cleanup Weeks
Spring - April 10-20, 2023
Fall - TBD 2023
The Annual Cleanup Weeks are an additional service to help customers as they begin spring/fall cleaning in their garages, yards, and around the home. Sanitation customers are invited to place items on the curb for removal on the day of their normally scheduled trash pick-up during that week. Items will be picked up these weeks at NO ADDITIONAL charge. You MUST BE a City of Charlestown Sanitation customer.
- Non-bulky items for pick-up must be properly placed in dumpster bags and positioned at the curb clear of tree limbs, guide wires, mailboxes fences. etc.
- Limbs must be cut into lengths no greater than 7 feet and placed in a separate pile from the junk, trash, and debris.
- Please do not over-stuff your garbage cans.
- The regular pick-up of your trash will be a separate pick-up from your spring cleanup items. Separate vehicles for pick-ups will be utilized.