The mayor is the executive official, and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City of Charlestown. Pursuant to Indiana statute, the mayor’s responsibilities include:
- Enforcement of the ordinances of the city and the statutes of the state;
- Providing a statement of the finances and general condition of the city to the city legislative body at least once a year;
- Providing any information regarding city affairs that the legislative body requests;
- Recommending, in writing, to the legislative body actions that the executive considers proper;
- Calling special meetings of the legislative body when necessary;
- Supervising subordinate officers;
- Ensuring efficient government of the city;
- Filling vacancies in city offices when required;
- Signing all bonds, deeds, and contracts of the city and all licenses issued by the city; and
- The approval or veto of ordinances, orders, and resolutions of the city council.
The mayor of the City of Charlestown is Bob Hall. Hall began his fourth term as mayor in January, 2016.